Let's say you're getting ready to sell your house. And let's say your friendly neighbor down the street also happens to be a realtor. Should you hire them? Here are some reasons why it can be beneficial to hire a neighbor realtor.
- You have a good sense of who they are and how they live. You may already have a good relationship or, at least, some things in common with them.
- They are familiar with the neighborhood. That means that during an open house, they can highlight all the benefits of living there to prospective buyers. The added bonus is that they can share their personal experiences.
- They want your house to sell for as much as it can, really. When your house sells it becomes a comp for them if they decide to sell or refinance.
- The person that buys your home is going to be their neighbor. They are motivated to help you find someone that will be easy to work with and will be a good fit for the neighborhood.
- Finally, there's no reason they should be late for an open house or showing ;)
If you do decide to hire a realtor in your neighborhood to sell your home, it's similar to working with any friend or family member. Keep in mind that even though everyone hopes for a smooth transaction, selling your home can be both stressful and emotional. If you hire a good agent, they will do everything they can to help you sell your home, but if the going gets tough, it's good to keep it professional.
PS. Thinking about selling your house? See our latest market update for all the latest numbers in your Redwood City neighborhood or drop me a line and I would be happy to give you a free consultation.
Cliff Whearley has been a resident of Redwood City for 23 years. He is a Realtor at Dwell Realtors, Inc. and has been practicing real estate since 2007. If you have any real estate questions, he would love to help!